People say that an honest confession relieves one from the burden of misery. I think i had one to make here. An individual's life is a bouquet of flowers. This bouquet has many flowers and also many thorns. I'll share a thorn which is embedded somewhere in me.
Its not something which happened long back. A few days back I had the opportunity to do Amarnath yatra. Though I have a few decades left to actually go there for pilgrimage purpose. The basic aim was to do lots of photography and just enjoy out other than visiting Shiv ji. Now Amarnath cave is located at high altitude. If I'm not wrong it should be around 14,000 feet in height. There are two routes for the yatra; one from Pahalgam which is around 30 plus kilometers (one way) but having an easy ascent, and the other from Baltal which happens to be some 18 kilometers but a much tougher ascent and at places 45 degrees of vertical climb on the scree and boulders.
THE CAVE AT THE (TOP) END OF THE GLACIER
(TAKEN FROM THE HIGHEST POINT ON THE TRACK)
I took the shorter route as usual as it was easily accessible from my location. I was accompanied by a colleague and we started off climbing at eight in the morning. It was the second last day of the yatra as the Shivling was just 10% of its actual size and the number of yatris was also very miniscule. Maximum langars (free food service) on the way were packing up their stuff and closing down.
The route to the holy cave is a track which is maximum 3 meters wide and minimum a feet wide at places with a vertical drop of around 400 meters on one side and a vertical rock face on the other again which has the hazards of avalanche and rock falls. Wherever possible the devotees place langars and often shops which offer water, tea, snacks and various other commodities required en route. The whole route is patrolled or manned by Indian Security Forces for safety in view of numerous terrorist activities in the past. Also these people arrange for any emergency situations like medical aid which is required at the drop of a hat due to the hostile weather and terrain conditions.
The climb takes around 4 to 6 hours depending on the capability or the technique used by the people. I took six hrs flat as I have experience of the mountains and I know that they don't spare the hare and are somewhat friendly towards the turtle. Moreover I am a laid back individual who devotes more time to admire the beauty. I was walking barefoot as my sandals proved to be useless in that kind of terrain and i was missing my trekking shoes. Though this should not be tried before having adequate experience in walking.
One should take along a back pack having essentials like a change of clothes, at least 3 liters of water or other fluids and something to eat in case of a habit of snacking apart from the camera which is a must. Also for people who don't want to strain themselves with walking have options of a horse back ride to and fro which in the peak season is fixed at Rs 1,800 to and fro (the authorised government rate), a man carriage carried by four men (rates not known) and those who can afford it a helicopter ride to and fro for some Rs 6,400.
The route has many natural springs on the way but they start much later and to few people it might not sound hygienic but take my word this water is safe for fit people who don't suffer from recurring stomach ailments. Also the first half an hour of climbing makes one run for water, whatever his physical condition may be (maybe I'm exaggerating, but that's exactly what happened to me!)
THE CAVE AND THE BASE CAMP
The scenic beauty is just amazing and I had taken lots of snaps on the way. Finally the holy cave was spotted and the tiredness seemed to evaporate as this trek does take its toll and is quite difficult. I went there and prayed for a while. The cave is very cold and it's difficult to stay there for more than 20 minutes but as there was practically no rush i sat there for around half an hour and moved out only when my butt and feet were numb.
The return trek is also difficult one, though not so much but of course one is tired after a 4-6 hours of trek so that makes it tough also the route is full of ups and downs.
Here comes the second part of the title ... confession. On the way back i saw many people still climbing it was around six in the evening when while walking back I saw a group of three bulky men who were coming up and looked visibly shaken due to the difficult route. One of them sat down some 50 meters ahead of me on a rock to rest. Once I came close to this group, this fat guy started to look specifically at me. I smiled back at him and told them that the cave is nearby and it would be a few hrs of normal walk as you guys have already crossed the difficult route and easy ahead (though it was not so! the actual ascent was much ahead, it was to just boost up their morale).
I began to go past the group as now the rest of them had also sat down to rest. At that very moment this fat guy asked me with a very meek and almost inaudible voice "Brother, do you have some water?", I don't know what happened to me that i said "No buddy, sorry my bottle is empty, though you'll get some ahead." This guy thanked me and I carried on. I had some one liter water left in my bottle which was in the backpack. I lied. And I repented later. This was one bad thing which still haunts me. To top it all there was a news report the next day that a devotee died of a heart attack on the way to the holy cave. I was very much concerned that hopefully it was not the same guy. But this act of mine was shameless and was uncalled for. At least I could have offered him some as was to go down from that point forward and it was not all that difficult for me. I kept on cursing myself for days as its not my nature to lie and also not to help people. But I don't know what happened at that particular moment and that too after coming back from a pilgrimage? And refuse for what a sip of water? Which was not about to be used by me at all and that too I lied for this? These questions keep on ringing in my head whenever I see those pictures of Amarnath Yatra.
I began to go past the group as now the rest of them had also sat down to rest. At that very moment this fat guy asked me with a very meek and almost inaudible voice "Brother, do you have some water?", I don't know what happened to me that i said "No buddy, sorry my bottle is empty, though you'll get some ahead." This guy thanked me and I carried on. I had some one liter water left in my bottle which was in the backpack. I lied. And I repented later. This was one bad thing which still haunts me. To top it all there was a news report the next day that a devotee died of a heart attack on the way to the holy cave. I was very much concerned that hopefully it was not the same guy. But this act of mine was shameless and was uncalled for. At least I could have offered him some as was to go down from that point forward and it was not all that difficult for me. I kept on cursing myself for days as its not my nature to lie and also not to help people. But I don't know what happened at that particular moment and that too after coming back from a pilgrimage? And refuse for what a sip of water? Which was not about to be used by me at all and that too I lied for this? These questions keep on ringing in my head whenever I see those pictures of Amarnath Yatra.
Since then I have resolved to never refuse any one even if someone asks for a drop of blood if it is needed come what may.
That's when I say life teaches and at every corner you find a lesson. Provided one has the capability to learn and pick these lessons strewn all along the corners of life.
oh my !! you are right life teaches us a lot everyday in fact !! only if we remember .. and sometimes you seriously do not understand why you did a certain thing .. a spontaneous denial, lie , rejection something that is brutal ..sometime you get to atone for it sometimes you don't.
ReplyDeleteA true confession has made up for what you did. Life often offers opportunities to test our mettle, sometimes we use them sometimes we dont. But there is an experience gained for sure which prepares us as better individuals for the upcoming opportunity...
ReplyDeleteGood read and great pics too..pls keep writing :-)